Sigma Delta Pi
Spring 2020 Application:
Below are the instructions for undergraduate Spanish Majors and Minors to apply for membership to SIGMA DELTA PI, the National Hispanic Collegiate Honor Society (Beta Rho Chapter). The completed application is due by 4:00 p.m. on February 3, 2019.
Each applicant MUST (check off each criterion and submit this page):
_____ be registered with the undergraduate coordinator as a SPANISH MAJOR OR MINOR
_____ have completed 3 semesters of college work
_____ have successfully completed at least two 3-credit 3000-level courses (including at least
one in Hispanic literature and/or culture and civilization) beyond SPN 3300/3350
- Note: You may apply while enrolled in one of the 3000-level courses required for membership if all other requirements above have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that your work is of “B” or “A” quality at the time of application.
- Note: Online classes are not currently counted toward eligibility.
_____ have a minimum grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in all Spanish courses taken
_____ have a minimum overall grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
_____ be available to attend the initiation ceremony on Wednesday, February 12 at 5:30 p.m.
(attendance is required). Initiates will gather by 5:15 p.m. in Dauer 215.
If you meet the above requirements, please leave this application and the following application materials [except initiation fee paid in cash] in Dr. Jennifer Wooten’s mailbox in 170 Dauer Hall by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 3.
_______ Unofficial transcript
Make sure your name appears on the transcript, and highlight the following information:
- a) all of the Spanish courses that you have taken at UF; b) the name of the instructor of each course;
- c) the GPA for all of the Spanish courses that you have taken at UF;
- d) your name, email address, and academic classification (for example, 3LS); and
- e) your current overall GPA.
_______ Schedule of classes you are taking this semester
_______ Write very neatly on the transcript any information that does not appear on the unofficial UF Transcript or your schedule of classes, such as professor’s name or your email address.
_______ There is a one-time initiation fee of $50.00, payable by check (made payable to Jennifer Wooten/Sigma Delta Pi) or cash for the exact amount
- Do NOT leave cash in Dr. Wooten’s box; instead, email her at email@example.com to ask for her office hours and then visit her with exactly $50 (to be paid prior to the application deadline).
- In the event that the application is denied, the check will be voided or returned to the applicant based on his/her preference or cash returned in person.
- If you are admitted, the fee will be applied to dues for national membership, the purchase of induction ceremony materials, and your honor cord. Therefore it cannot be refunded. Before applying, make sure you can attend the induction ceremony on Wednesday, February 12 at 5:30 p.m. (total ceremony for initiates is 5:15 – 6:30 p.m. approximately).
We look forward to considering you for membership!
An edited volume to which Dr. Armon contributed a chapter has just received the Society for the Study of Early Modern Women and Gender’s book prize for “Best Collaborative Project on Women and Gender Published in 2018.” ¡Enhorabuena!
UF’s SPS will host the Florida Cervantes Symposium on October 24th-25th. The full schedule can be found here.
Students in Intermediate Spanish 2 created short films at the end of the semester, and all students voted on their favorite. Click here to see the winner!
The students in our SPANISH IN THE COMMUNITY class are proud to share this year’s oral history video, “Aquí estoy: entre banderas y colores.”
Hurricane Maria, one year later: the story of how one family is surviving following the devastation that Maria left on the island. View the documentary made by PhD student Laura Callahan at https://youtu.be/1PgjrPCF3yg.
Click here to view this semester’s installment of our ongoing oral history project, created by the students in Prof. Antonio Sajid López’s SPN3948 class.