The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies is pleased to offer a new certificate program in Spanish for the Professions.
This certificate consists of 12 credit hours at the 3000-level with the goal of providing students with the linguistic skills and cultural knowledge necessary for working in an increasingly global community, focusing specifically on the Spanish-speaking world. Coursework builds cultural background and communicative proficiency while providing profession-specific language and experience.
Dr. Antonio Sajid López
A grade of C or better in SPN3300 or SPN3350; or equivalent background (e.g., native language or comparable coursework)
Courses and Requirements
- Passing grade in SPN 3414: Advanced conversation 2
(For heritage speakers of Spanish, SPN4314 substitutes for SPN3414)
- Passing grade in SPN 3948: Service Learning
(Can be taken at home or abroad, or both)
- Passing grade in SPN 3510 OR SPN 3520 (Culture and Civilization of Spain or Latin America)
- Passing grade in at least ONE of the following courses:
- SPN 3440: Commercial Spanish
- SPN 3442: Marketing and Advertising in the Spanish-Speaking World
- SPN 3036: Spanish for Health Professions
- SPN 3451: Spanish Translation and Interpretation
- SPN 3533: Spanish for Educators
- SPN3831: Spanish for Legal Professions
- Other selected topics courses (usually offered under the SPN 3930 number) may also be applicable, check with the Certificate coordinator.