Applications for memberships are now available!
To be considered for membership in Spring 2018,
submit your application by noon on Friday, March 2, 2018.
“Spanías Didagéi Proágomen“
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society (La Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica), is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of South Carolina, a member of the Association of College Honor Societies, and affiliated with the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society is dedicated to promoting interest in Hispanic culture. Membership is open to outstanding students of the Spanish language and Hispanic literature.
The first chapter of Sigma Delta Pi was established on November 14, 1919, at the University of California in Berkeley. Its insignia is the royal seal of Fernando and Isabel, representing Castille, León and Aragón. The Society’s colors are red and gold and its flower is the red carnation.
The University of Florida’s chapter of Sigma Delta Pi, Beta Rho, was founded in 1949 by Prof. Pedro Villa Fernández, who continued as its faculty sponsor during the first decades of its existence. Meetings were often held at his home, according to the (yellowing) minutes in our possession.
Chapter Faculty Advisor: Dr. Jennifer Wooten
Active membership shall be limited to college students who have demonstrated high scholarship in general and excellence in the academic study of Spanish. Specifically, they must meet the following requirements:
- The candidate for active membership must have completed at least two courses at the 3000-level beyond SPN 3300 or 3350, including one 3000-level course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization. A student may be admitted to active membership while still enrolled in the second 3000-level course if all other requirements have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that the student’s work is of “B” or “A” quality.
- The candidate for active membership must have a minimal grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in all Spanish courses taken.
- The candidate must have an overall grade point average of at least 3.2,and must have completed at least three semesters of college work.
- Graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree-granting program may be elected to membership upon completion of two graduate courses in Spanish with an average which, if continued, will make them eligible for a graduate degree.
- Sigma Delta Pi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, or disability.
- The traditional and official Sigma Delta Pi Graduation Honor Cords consist of one cord and tassels of bright Spanish Gold tied together with one of red. They are worn over the graduation robe with the tassels in the front and the knot at the nape of the neck.
- Please contact Dr. Jennifer Wooten, Chapter Advisor to learn more about Honor Cords.
Scholarships and Grants
If you are interested in learning about Sigma Delta Pi scholarships and graduate research grant awards, please consult the scholarship information on the SIGMA DELTA PI NATIONAL WEB SITE.